History of The Institution of Engineers (India)(Since 1920)Foundation and History

The visionaries amongst the engineers thought it necessary in the early twentieth century to establish in India a professional society encompassing all disciplines of engineers. The sapling planted in the 1920 has by now grown to a big tree and the track record of The Institution of Engineers (India) has been a matter of pride for all our engineers. The Institute was formally inaugurated at an impressive ceremony in the Hall of the Asiatic Society of Bengal on February 23,1921 by His Excellency Lord Chelmsford, Viceroy of India.

MEMBERSHIP

Acting as a qualifying body The Institute confers membership in various classes on those whose qualifications fulfill its Bye-Laws. This is one of the sacred privileges and the Institution has acquired reputation in exercise of the privilege.

QUALIFYING BODY AND LEARNED SOCIETY

The emergence of the Institution as a Qualifying Body and Learned Society has not been a by-product of history. The stage was already set with magnificent preparations. History has provided its set-up on a steady unshaking footing and the Institution has occupied its rightful place in the gigantic thought movement of the time.

EDUCATION AND TRAINING

From the very beginning the membership of the Institution has been broadly divided into two groups. Members who are already professional engineers and members who are not necessarily engineers but are in the way of making. This characteristic of two-third membership has been an important matter and study of progress of the Institution.

BUILDINGS : THE 'HOME' OF THE INSTITUTION AND ITS CENTRES

The Institution from its 'Home' at 8 Gokhale Road, Calcutta, has been acting as the torch-bearer and the light of knowledge in has shed has illuminated the entire profession. All the activities have originated from the Headquarters building at 8 Gokhale Road, Calcutta.

SIR R. N MOOKERJEE CENTRAL REFERENCE LIBRARY

The Institution started developing its Library almost immediately after its establishment. The will to improve and expand engineering knowledge is significant revealed in the formation of the Central Library. Quite interestingly the Central Library has a long and eventful history of varied fortunes which dates more than sixty-five years back.

THE COUNCIL

The Council of the Institution is an inclusive assemblage of various professions in the field of engineering. The Council has interpolated matters which stand poles apart measured by traditional yardstick. During its long career, the Council has already met more than five hundred sixty (quarterly meetings of the Council started from 1954-55) and a look into the compendium of Council's decisions will enable one to appreciate that there was hardly a single occasion when the Council met only on routine matters.

OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY

The Secretary administers the management as the Chief Executive of the Institution. He is the kingpin in the administration. Therefore, no account of the Institution would be complete without a tributary reference to him.